What is Ecare?
ECare is a reverse heartbeat where the Sureview software in the station connects out to the remote device to verify they are online and raises an alarm if not.
How it works
ECare works by connecting using TCP to each device that you have set to be "ECare Enabled". It will try to make a TCP connection on the port you specify in the device setup 'Port' field.
If the connection fails more then the number of times specified in device setup then an alarm will be raised to notify operators that the device is offline. This alarm will be received regardless of the arm status of the site.
A ping test will also be carried out and the results will be included with the alarm "(Ping also failed)".
Note: Ping cannot be relied on for device status as many firewalls and routers will drop ping requests so this is provided purely as additional helpful information. (ICMP Echo / Echo Reply)
|Restoral Alert||When a connection to a disconnected device is re-established, a restore alarm will be raised to notify operators that the device is back online. This alarm will be received regardless of the arm status of the site.|
1. Open your site and head to Manage Devices and Alarms
2. Edit Device
3. Scroll down to Additional Details to find the ECare setup.
Tick ECare enabled to enable this feature.
- ECare fail threshold will set how many time a site will be checked before providing an Ecare alarm
- ECare checking interval will set how long between each check.
4. Click Update to save your changes.
ExampleFail Threshold: 3
Interval: 2 minutes
You will receive an alert after the device has been unreachable for 6 minutes
In addition to enabling ECare to operate per its standard process, you can also set parameters and options for any ECare alert:
1. Follow the steps above to enable ECare
2. On your device go to Alarms
3. Add an alarm
4. Tick ECare Alarm
5. Select whether this alarm is Default, Fail or Restore
|ECare Alarm Type||Description|
|Default||These parameters will only be applied to both Failure and Restoral alerts.|
|Fail||These parameters will only be applied to Ecare Failure alerts (ie. When a site connection fails).|
|Restore||These parameters will only be applied to Ecare Restoral alerts (ie. When a site connection is restored).|
6. You can then set up parameters for the alarm, as you would a device alarm
7. Click Done to save the changes.
8. Once created you can also add Alarm Actions as you would for any defined alarm